Charlotte Speech Pathologist
Serving Charlotte / Lake Norman
Julia is a licensed speech language pathologist who is dedicated to helping each client discover ways to express themselves and interact with the important people in their lives most effectively. Successful and meaningful communication can come in many different forms (facial expressions, gestures, spoken words, written language, and/or augmentative technology). Julia emphasizes close collaboration with other professionals working with each client in order to support the needs of communication in all areas of her client’s life. Family members are encouraged to be active participants in the therapy process in order to support carryover of treatment goals.
Over the last 11 years in the field of speech and language, Julia has gained extensive experience and training in working with pediatrics and teens. She actively seeks out ongoing continuing education in the field in order to provide quality services to her clients.
Where are your roots?
Although I spent the last 10 years in Los Angeles, when I talk about my family or an experience that I’m passionate about, my southern accent still surfaces. Right ya’ll! I was born and raised in East Tennessee amidst the beautiful Appalachian Mountains. I grew up learning how to make homemade biscuits and gravy and knew the words to Rocky Top from a young age. During college, I met the love of my life, Adam. Although my husband was also born and raised in the south (Virginia), we moved to Southern California soon after we married. Nearly a decade later, we are now a family of three with our vivacious son, Hudson. We are currently enjoying life as southerners once more!
When you are not doing therapy, what do you do?
I am constantly learning and growing as a mother through each changing season of my son’s life. It’s a joy to develop alongside him as a parent as he learns and grows as a child. I'm currently working on creating a green thumb for myself in our new garden. When it's time for a break, you can usually find me somewhere in the local food & coffee scene, photographing and reviewing excellent dishes on Foodspotting. Life, food, and coffee is made great…when shared with those you love.
- BS, Communications & Psychology, East Tennessee State University
- MS, Communicative Disorders, University of Redlands
License & Affiliations
- North Carolina Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist, #11264
- California Licensed Speech-Language Pathologist, #16893
- International Association of Orofacial Myology, Active Member
- American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC), #12100513
Certifications & Trainings
- Orofacial Myology: Make the Connection - Mary Billings, SLP & Dianah Davidson, RDH
- The Lidcombe Program - The Lidcombe Program Training Consortium
- Bridging Technique to Intervention (Level II), PROMPT Institute
- K-SLP -The Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol, Nancy Kaufman, SLP
- Everything You Need to Know about a Baby's Mouth for Good Feeding, Speech, and Mouth Development - Diane Bahr/ Ages and Stages
- It Takes Two to Talk - The Hanen Centre
- Creating a Care Plan for Tongue Tie, Jessica Altemara, IBCLC
- Developing Intelligible Speech - Pam Marshalla, SLP
- Successful "R" Therapy, Pam Marshalla, SLP
- Feeding Therapy – A Sensory-Motor Approach, Lori Overland, SLP
- Three Part Treatment Plan for Oral Motor Therapy, Sara Rosenfeld Johnson, SLP
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Integrated Treatment of Feeding, Speech, and Mouth Function in Pediatrics, Diane Bahr, SLP
- Suspected Apraxia & Early Intervention, Cari Ebert, SLP
- How to Achieve Sound and Word Production in Young Children who Refuse Participation - Pam Marshalla
- Link Between Theory and Practice in Childhood Apraxia of Speech, Edythe Strand, SLP
- Facilitated Communication Training, Darlene Hanson, SLP
- Embracing the iPad with Toddlers Using Traditional Therapy Techniques, Lisa Luna DeCurtis, SLP
- DIR/Floortime Model in Assessing and Treating Selective Mutism, Joleen Fernald, SLP
- CPR Certification, Healthcare Provider, American Heart Association
Echo Speech Therapy, PLLC
215 Gilead Rd #200, Huntersville, NC 28078